Friday, February 22, 2019

Hogcamp Branch / Dark Hollow Falls


Hogcamp Branch begins from the cold springs of Big Meadows within Shenandoah National Park.  The Branch then makes up the flow that pours over Dark Hollow Falls and eventually joins the Rose River.  The area is a hub for hikers and guests to the park during the busy season but can be a Native Trout Fisherman’s paradise during the park’s off season. 
Lower Falls 


There are two main access points to get to fishable waters on Hogcamp Branch. My least favorite option is to park at the Dark Hollow Falls trailhead adjacent to Big Meadows. This access point is a longer hike and is extremely steep coming back out. The easier option is to park at the small parking area adjacent to the Rose River Fire Road. The walk down to fishable water is roughly a mile but it is a gradual incline which makes the hike back out pleasurable. I will leave GPS coordinates to this parking area below. 


Travel down the fire road until you get to the lower falls. At this point you can either hike upstream and fish the large pools created by the falls or travel downstream and fish some of the amazing step pools created by the gradient of the stream. Or if you’re like me you do both in one day. 
Trail Below The Fire Road


The larger pools in and around the falls hold some sizable Natives.  I caught two in the 8 to 9 inch range at and just below the larger waterfall. (Unfortunately not pictures below)



As you travel down the branch sizable pools can be found along its length. I typically drop a nymph rig in at the start of the pool and let the current bring it back towards me. It allows me to cover a lot more water and helps me detect the small takes. 



Fish size range is typical of small mountain tributaries on this stretch of water. I have caught fish as small as 3 inches and as large as 10 inches. I have no doubt that a 12-inch fish lurks under those falls but the fish Gods haven’t blessed me with one on this stream as of yet! 



Patterns that I have found to work well are small caddis emergers, cream mop flies, chartreuse mop flies, and your typical pheasant tails.  This stream allows you to get by easily with an 8’ or 9’ rod. I have used my 7’ fiberglass 3 wt  and 6’ 1 wt with great success. 


This spot is not a secret so the fish can be easily spooked. I would recommend the lightest tippet are you comfortable with as fish can be somewhat skittish. 


The major pluses of this stream are the ease of access, natural beauty of the falls, and being relatively alone in the off season. I would not recommend hitting this between May and September. The sheer number of swimmers, hikers, and tourists make casting difficult and no ones want to be responsible for hooking an unsuspecting tourist. 
Local Wildlife 

GPS coordinates to parking area
 38°32'1.56"N
 78°25'16.08"W

No comments:

Post a Comment